Blocked Drains Suffolk, Unblock Drains Southampton


No Call Out Charge

Free Estimates

Multiple Payment Options

Trained Professionals

Satisfaction Guaranteed

Fast and Friendly Service


Gas Safety Certificates

Legal Requirement For Landlords

Landlords are required by law to provide safe gas appliances. In fact, letting agencies and others require Gas Safety Certificates before they’ll put your property on their books. At No1PHD, we have an extensive staff of professional gas engineers. That means we can book a visit promptly, and ensure that you have the correct certification for appliances at your property.

The Gas Safety Record

The Landlord’s Gas Safety Certificate, is also known as the Gas Safety Record. The engineer who checks and services your gas appliances will record the results on the Gas Safe sheet and if you are a landlord, you will be given a copy. Then you should give a copy to your tenant.

The penalties for not following the rules can be severe. If you don’t have a safety record showing yearly checks, you can be fined up to £6,000. And if there’s a fire or gas explosion as a result of a faulty appliance, you may also find that your property insurance isn’t valid. That’s before counting the human cost of tenants becoming seriously ill because of carbon monoxide poisoning.

What’s in the Gas Safety Record?

The Gas Safety Record will list:

  • The address of the property
  • Every flue and appliance that has been checked
  • Date of the checks
  • Results of the checks
  • Any repairs or improvements you have been asked to make
  • An address for you, or your agent.
  • The engineer’s details, including their Gas Safe registration number

Do I Count As A Landlord?

Many people fall within the Gas Safe regulations without realising it. For example, if you provide host accommodation for visiting students, you almost certainly need a Gas Safety inspection. In fact, many accommodation offices and language schools will not place students with homes that can’t produce an in-date Gas Safety Record.

Another large category of “accidental” landlords are people renting out their homes on a short term basis. For example, those using sites such as “Airbnb” to rent their property out for brief periods, may not realise that they come within the regulations. Holiday lets, caravans, and rooms being rented out under the “Rent a Room” scheme are also included.

The fact is, that if you are renting out a property, you fall under the regulations and must ensure that all gas appliances are safe, by having them checked each year, by a professionally qualified registered Gas Safe engineer.


If The Tenant Owns The Appliance

Some unfurnished lets assume that the tenant will bring their own cooker. Many tenants prefer to cook with gas, so there may well be a gas cooker in the property. Are you responsible for its safety? The answer is no, as it is not your property. However, remember that you are responsible for the safety of the flues that the appliance may use, and the pipes that deliver gas to the appliance.

Many landlords aren’t aware of the regulations concerning any new gas installation that produces heat – such as a replacement gas fire. A Gas Safe engineer will produce a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate, to show that the installation has been correctly and safely completed.

Boiler servicing and Gas Safe certification are just a couple of the property maintenance services that No1PHD offers to landlords and others. So if you’re not sure about the regulations, just get in touch and we’ll help you with up to date information.

Prompt Service

When you use No1PHD, you’re tapping into the resources of a large national organisation with an extensive local level network. That means that No1PHD is more likely to be able to respond to an urgent request. A “sole operator” gas engineer may be booked on other jobs, and unable to act quickly to resolve an urgent problem. We appreciate that if there is a problem with an appliance, and you have a resident tenant, you may need help urgently.

Letting property, with all its rules and regulations, can be a worry. But with No1PHD you’re in safe hands, and can rest assured that all regulations have been complied with. Our Gas Safe registered engineers are professional and prompt. They’ll make sure your gas appliances are all inspected, and correctly documented.

So call us now on 08006906777, to book a visit from a qualified Gas Safe engineer.

24 hour callout

emergency service

0800 690 6777

5 stars
white quotation marks

After noticing that the house was unusually cold, we found that the heating wasn’t coming on and that our hot water had also failed. We called the team at No 1 PHD who dispatched an engineer to investigate. After discovering that the culprit was a faulty boiler part, they ordered in a new part and got it fitted as quickly as possible. The guys were great, and we couldn’t be happier.

Mr Lincoln

5 stars
white quotation marks

For days, we’ve noticed a foul smell coming from outside and a gurgling sound coming from one of the drains. Whenever it would rain, the area around it would flood slightly and take ages to drain. We tried buying drain unblockers, but none seemed effective. Eventually, we turned to No 1 PHD and were left wondering why we didn’t do this sooner.

Mrs Griffin

Got a problem?

map marker